Monday, May 10, 2010

Dog Therapy


It was a GLOOMY day. Things were not going right. I knew that I should not count on any one person in this world to meet all of my emotional needs. My husband was also struggling with the death of his mother, and since both of my parents had passed on, it was not a good time for us. I was able to seek solice from my sister. She came out to go with me to get my hair cut. While we were at the outdoor mall, we stopped in the pet shop. It was LOVE at first sight! I saw "Happy" and boy was he happy. He caught my eye, and although I wasn't wearing glasses, I saw a huge grin on his face. Well, he was the only one smiling that day!!

When my husband came home from work that day, we looked at each other and we both knew we were in trouble. I said "Pick up that dog, and don't come home without the dog!". He was not keen on the idea at all, but now, we can't picture our lives without Happy. This is what I call a THERAPUTIC dog.

My mother was terrified of dogs! It was a travesty that I didn't grow up with dogs, however I did sneak in a cat or two, and my fifth grade teacher had a bunny in the classroom that I could take home for the weekend. This blog is dedicated to the healing power and comfort that pets, and specifically dogs provide in our lives. I never knew what I was missing when I didn't have dogs in my life. I never really had the time for a dog, but God did bless us with a "kid" after all!! "The GREATEST dog in the world is a companion who does all but speak. He will be gay or serious; he will console you in your lowest moods" -Ludwig Bemelman

No comments:

Post a Comment